PCMCIA V.34C Mac FaxModem
MA, Aug. 8, 1995 - Zoom Telephonics, Inc, one of the highest-volume
producers of modems and faxmodems in the world, announced
its new V.34C-Mac Zoom/PCMCIA FaxModem at Macworld Expo in
The Model 521 Zoom/PCMCIA FaxModem V.34C
Mac for the Macintosh is a state-of-the-art faxmodem card
that can be used in the office and on the road as both a landline
and cellular send-and-receive fax device and data modem with
the Apple PowerBook 500 Series.
"The V.34C is
the perfect traveling companion for professionals on the go,"
said Frank Manning, President and CEO of Zoom Telephonics,
Inc. "The inherent small size of its PCMCIA card format
is enhanced by Zoom's thin cord, rugged connector design,
built-in DAA, cellular capability, PC Card-Guard digital PBX
protection, and battery- conserving circuitry. It complements
the well-received Zoom/PCMCIA FaxModem 14.4C and is available
at a street price of only $269."
FaxModem V.34C-Mac is a fully Hayes-compatible 28,800 bps
* V.34 modem and 14,400 bps send/receive fax device. Its advanced
MNP 10EC Enhanced Cellular technology assures extremely high
connectivity and data transfer rates even in the challenging
cellular environment. It is fully compatible with all other
ITU standards, including V.Fast Class and V.32bis.
The Zoom/PCMCIA V.34C-Mac is ready to run with the Apple PowerBook
500 Series equipped with a Type II or III PCMCIA slot. All
Zoom PCMCIA FaxModems are equipped with Flash memory to enable
software-based firmware upgrades.
Installing the PCMCIA
FaxModem V.34C-Mac is fast and easy. Just plug it into a PowerBook
500 Series equipped with a standard PCMCIA Type II or III
slot, and then attach by means of a thin cord to a telephone
jack. The FaxModem provides "wired" communications
when connected to a standard telephone line jack, and "wireless"
communications when connected to a cellular telephone. The
PCMCIA FaxModem V.34C-Mac is cellular ready, with all required
cellular circuitry on-board. No bulky cords or special adapters
are required. A cellular activation kit, which contains appropriate
software and a thin, telephone-specific lightweight cord,
is required for cellular communications.
FaxModem V.34C-Mac is equipped with PC Card-Guard, a special
feature that fully protects the modem's circuitry if it is
accidentally connected to a digital PBX phone system like
those found in many hotel and office environments. PC Card-Guard
senses and diverts excessive current before it can damage
A sleep mode option conserves power
when the PCMCIA FaxModem V.34C is running on a computer's
battery. When the faxmodem is in sleep mode, it "wakes
up" when it senses activity, such as a modem command
or an incoming call.
The Zoom/PCMCIA Faxmodem V.34C
is made in the USA by Zoom Telephonics, Inc., an industry
leader in telecommunications since 1977.
Features: Zoom/PCMCIA FaxModem V.34C-Mac
- True V.34 (ITU international standard) Technology.
- 100% Hayes AT Command Set Compatible, with Extended MNP
5 and V.42bis Command Set.
- Compatible with Macintosh PowerBook 500 Series equipped
with Type II or III PCMCIA slot.
- Supports both the V.34 ITU standard and V.Fast Class
(V.FC) at 28,800 bps. Fully compatible with all other international
standards, including 14,400 bps (V.32bis) and slower speeds.
- Fully integrated DAA phone line interface no bulky cords
- "Flash" memory for easy firmware upgrades.
- Low-power circuitry with energy-saving "Sleep Mode"
to minimize computer battery drain.
7200/4800/2400/1200/300 bps data pump.
- 14,400/9600/7200/4800/2400/1200/300 Send/Receive Fax
with automatic speed selection, Group 3, Class 1 and 2.
- Automatically negotiates and maintains the highest mutually
supported level of error correction, data compression, and
- Auto-fallback/Fall forward Automatic Speed Selection
and Adaptive Equalization.
- V.42 (LAPM) and MNP 2-4 error correction.
- V.42bis and MNP 5 data compression for effective speeds
to 115,200 bps.
- MNP 10EC Enhanced Cellular protocol dramatically enhances
performance over cellular or other poor quality lines. Also
supports MNP 10 and LAPM. Fully Hayes AT-Command set compatible.
- Supports many popular cellular phones; a cellular phone
activation kit is required.
- PC Card-Guard protects against PCMCIA card blow-out from
digital PBX phone systems.
- Digital and analog loopback diagnostics.
- Auto-dial (tone and rotary) and Auto-answer.
- FCC Registered (Part 68) and Certified (Part 15B).
- Recognized to U.S. and Canadian requirements under the
Component Recognition Program of Underwriters Laboratories
All trademarks used herein are the property of their respective
- Speed cited is for wired connection. Maximum speed achievable
over cellular connections may be significantly lower.